The movement to shift more of our housing resources out of the private for-profit market and into the community-controlled social housing sector has gained momentum in recent years, with growing housing insecurity, unsustainable rent burdens, expanding homelessness, and gentrification pressures in many American cities. PRRAC has long supported the recognition of the right to housing and the expansion of the social housing sector.
- Expanding Federal Support for Tenant Organizing in Federally Assisted Housing and the HCV Program (PRRAC & NHLP, February 2022)
- What Can HUD Do to Expand Public and Community Ownership of Rental Housing? (PRRAC, April 2021)
- Public or Community Control of Rental Housing Policy Brief No. 3: Community Land Trusts and Other Public Ownership Vehicles (PRRAC, October 2020)
- Public or Community Control of Rental Housing Policy Brief No. 2: Using Eminent Domain to Acquire Private Rental Housing – Recent Examples (PRRAC, October 2020)
- Public or Community Control of Rental Housing Policy Brief No. 1: Right of First Refusal – Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Acts (PRRAC, October 2020)
- A Right to Housing: Foundation for a New Social Agenda (Edited by Rachel Bratt, Michael Stone, & Chester Hartman, February 2006)
- Peter Sarbonis, The Transformative Potential of Community Land Trusts (Nonprofit Quarterly, September 2021)