The movement to shift more of our housing resources out of the private for-profit market and into the community-controlled social housing sector has gained momentum in recent years, with growing housing insecurity, unsustainable rent burdens, expanding homelessness, and gentrification pressures in many American cities. PRRAC has long supported the recognition of the right to housing and the expansion of the social housing sector.
- Supporting social housing and tenant protections in the 2024 budget (AHJ, October 2022)
- Supporting the Housing Choice Voucher Tenant Engagement and Organizing in the President’s 2023 Budget (PRRAC & NHLP, December 2021)
- Supporting the California Social Housing Act of 2021, A.B. 387 (PRRAC et al, September 2021)
- What Can HUD Do to Expand Public and Community Ownership of Rental Housing? (PRRAC, April 2021)
- A Right to Housing: Foundation for a New Social Agenda (Edited by Rachel Bratt, Michael Stone, & Chester Hartman, February 2006)
- Peter Sarbonis, The Transformative Potential of Community Land Trusts (Nonprofit Quarterly, September 2021)