The Housing Mobility Initiative PRRAC’s Housing Mobility Initiative is a multi-year effort to bring together mobility counseling agencies, public housing agencies, and housing integration advocates to develop research and advocacy strategies to influence the debate over the direction of voucher policy. Along with our partners in the civil rights community, we have consistently urged HUD to expand housing mobility in federal programs, and to remove impediments to mobility in the Housing Choice Voucher Program (“Section 8”). Our work is motivated by the insight that the housing voucher program, if administered well, is the most direct and promising means of delivering desegregated housing opportunities to low income families of color.
- Mobility Works (Inclusive Communities Project, April 2013)
- Expanding Choice in the Choice Neighborhoods Initiative (webinar slides, April 2013)
- Expanding Choice: Practical Strategies for Building a Successful Housing Mobility Program (February 2013)
- “Neighborhood Affects Happiness, Study Says” (Wall Street Journal, Sept 20, 2012)
- Policy Brief: Potential Sources of Funding for Housing Mobility Counseling Programs (August 2012)
- “Prescription for a New Neighborhood: Housing mobility can complement community revitalization for children with serious health challenges” (Shelterforce magazine, July 2012)
- State, Local, and Federal Statutes against Source-of-Income Discrimination (Updated November 2011)
- Stefanie DeLuca, Learning from Voucher Families: Close Ups of the Search and Relocation Process in Mobile & Baltimore (Powerpoint presentation at HUD, July 2011)
- The Impact of Source of Income Laws on Voucher Utilization and Locational Outcomes by Lance Freeman (HUD PD&R, February 2011)
- “The Prospects for Guiding Housing Choice Voucher Households to High-Opportunity Neighborhoods,” by Kirk McClure, Cityscape, Vol. 12, No. 3 (January 2011)
- Getting Past “No”: Housing Choice Voucher Holders’ Experiences with Discrimination and Search Costs by Martha Galvez (prepared for PRRAC, May 2010)
- Connecting Families to Opportunity: a Resource Guide for Housing Choice Voucher Program Administrators (July 2009)
- Memo on Housing Choice Voucher Portability Procedures and Corrective Actions
- Portability Rights of Housing Choice Voucher Participants: An Overview (from the National Housing Law Project)
- A Brief Introduction to Social Network Theory (August 2009)
- Memphis Murder Mystery? Responses to the 2008 Atlantic Monthly Article.
- Keeping the Promise: Preserving and Enhancing Housing Mobility in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program (Final Conference Report of the Third National Conference on Housing Mobility) (December, 2005).
- Annotated Bibliography of Housing Mobility Research, 2004-2006.
- Preserving housing mobility in the Transforming Rental Assistance bill (June 2010)
- Other Housing Mobility Resources 2004-07
Proceedings from the 5th National Conference on Assisted Housing MobilityJune 11 and 12, 2012, Washington, DCCo-sponsored by PRRAC and the Urban InstituteMonday, June 11: Practitioner roundtable. How to build, strengthen, and support an effective regional housing mobility program - a structured learning exchange among new, emerging, and experienced housing mobility practitioners (contact Phil Tegeler for more information – firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Tuesday, June 12: Policy conference. Briefings from researchers and advocates, and dialogue with HUD staff on the latest developments in housing mobility policy – including prospects for expansion in the Choice Neighborhoods Initiative, the Sustainable Communities program, and Section 8 policy reforms on the horizon.
The conference was held at the Urban Institute, 2100 M Street NW
Proceedings from the 4th National Conference on Assisted Housing Mobility